Convento de Santo Domingo
The Convent of Santo Domingo is located in a place known as “the Boquete” for having been the site where the Anglo-Dutch assailants had thrown the image of the Virgen del Rosario in 1596. The construction of the present monastery complex started in 1645, with the financial support of the Basque merchant Domingo de Munárriz. The convent buildings are centered around a Baroque cloister, dated around 1660, organized into four “crujias” of three bodies each.
The church, sanctuary of the Virgen del Rosario, patron saint of Cadiz, was completed in 1666 and had to be partly rebuilt after a fire in 1936. It has a Latin cross base and consists of three naves, most of them divided into five sections by Tuscan columns, including arches on which there are balconies atop. The altarpiece is a prominent Genoese piece of colored marbles dated 1691, and considered one of the most outstanding examples of Italian Baroque altarpieces in Spain.