Iglesia de la Merced

Iglesia de la Merced | Source: Texts: Ayuntamiento de Cádiz. Photo: Destino Cádiz.

The Church of La Merced was part of the Convent of the barefoot mercedarian order, founded in the 17th century at the behest of the Dukes of Medina Sidonia, who were protectors of the order.

Because of the destruction occurred from the 19th century confiscations, today only the main facade and the tower of the church remain which are proto-Baroque works.

The interior has an altarpiece from the Chapel of Cappuchinos, a polychrome wood work done, presumably by Torcuato Cayon in 1770.

 


Copyright Cadiz Online S.C. - 2017