Museo de Cádiz
The origin of the Museo de Cádiz (Museum of Cadiz) begins in 1835 with the deposit at the Academy of Fine Arts in the city of a series of paintings from various secularized monasteries. It has an interesting collection of archaeological finds and fine arts.
The casual discovery in 1887 of the male Phoenician anthropoid sarcophagus in the grounds of the existing shipyards of Cádiz was the starting point of the archaeological collection. Besides the impressive anthropoid Phoenician sarcophagus, known for their importance in this funerary section objects and grave goods and Phoenician Punic recovered both in Cádiz and in the sanctuary of Melkart – Hercules in Sancti Petri and the Village of Doña Blanca in Puerto de Santa Maria, and Roman remains from Cádiz, Medina Sidonia, Sancti Petri and Baelo Claudia which stands out for its spectacular collection of statues.
The Fine Arts section is equally divided by rooms, and is a tour of the painting from the 16th century to today. Notably Flemish, Italian and Spanish works of the 16th century, works by Zurbarán for the Cartuja de Jerez between 1637 and 1639, various works of Murillo and his disciples within the Baroque collection or a work of Joan Miró in the contemporary art section.