Paterna de Rivera

"Paterna de Rivera is a village belonging to the region of la Janda, famous for its livestock and farms. It is part of the route of the bull (ruta del Toro) and is home to one of the styles of flamenco, the cante por peteneras"

Inhabited since Neolithic times, its numerous remains date back to the Roman period, with finds of fabulous villas with mosaic floors, tombs and coins from Gades. At this time the inhabitants enjoyed the medicinal properties of the baths of Fuente Santa and of Gigonza, being known for its water as the Valle de los Baños (the valley of baths).
After the Christian Reconquest it became part of the Lordship of the Ribera, from which it takes its name and remains dependent of Alcalá de los Gazules, which is emancipated in 1825.
Paterna is known for being the birthplace of the flamenco style of cante por peteneras, which receives the name of the singer who created it. Among the monuments of this white Andalusian village are the Parish of Nuestra Señora de la Hiniesta (16th century) of Gothic and Renaissance architecture, which stands in the main square of the village; and the House of Don Perafán de Ribera from the 17th century, a beautiful example of the popular domestic architecture.
It is famous for its herds of wild cattle used as fighting bulls and Arabian Hispanic horse’s .The national dressage championships held annually in the town is a must for lovers of this art.

  • Categories
  • Town

ALL ACTIVITIES IN Paterna de Rivera