Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Pópulo
The Real Capilla de Nuestra Señora del Pópulo is built on top of the Arch of the Pópulo, which was the primitive gateway to the sea in the medieval city.
It has its origin in the year 1587, when a canvas representing the Virgen del Pópulo was placed on the outside of the opening of the arch by the painter Antonio Franco. Curiously, during the Anglo-Dutch assault in 1596, the invading troops opened fire on the canvas after finding it impossible to take down from the arch.
Being a fortress belonging to the Royal Crown, the building was protected by royal patronage. The current Chapel, from 1868, consists of a square building covered with a vault with curved edges and it has as well a rectangular chancel.
The main altarpiece, a Baroque piece was made in the mid-17th century by Alejandro de Saavedra.