Iglesia de Santa Cruz (Catedral Vieja)
The Church of Santa Cruz or Cathedral Vieja is the most historic temple in the city. Built on the site of a former Muslim mosque, at the behest of Alfonso X el Sabio, was built as a cathedral in 1263.
The original building was Gothic-Mudejar style but has undergone several modifications.
The exterior is very simple since the elements that made up its side entrance were used in the decoration of the New Cathedral. Three shields remain placed on the lintel with the emblems of the Catholic Kings, the cathedral and Bishop García de Haro.
Inside stands out the main altarpiece which is a fundamental piece of Baroque Cadiz. Made of gilded wood, was plotted and executed in 1640 by Alejandro Saavedra, the sculptural decoration being made by Alonso Martínez in 1658.
Noteworthy are also other decorations and iconography of the chapel of the Genoese, images of the brotherhoods of the Cristo de Major Dolor y del Perdon as well as of la Solitud and the Santo Entierro; and rococo gilt wood altarpiece dominated by the image of San Antonio de Padua.