Culture in San Fernando
Iglesia Nuestra Señora del Carmen, San Fernando
It’s the oldest temple that has reached our days left in San Fernando and it is dedicated to the patron saint of the city. Here the municipality was awarded its current title of City in the year 1813.
Arsenal de la Carraca
First military establishment created in Spain used for constructing and repairing ships and storing and distributing weapons and ammunition.
Iglesia de Nuestra Señora Divina Pastora
It is a temple in the Neoclassical style, built at the end of the 18th century. It highlights the retable of the main altar by Angel Bugatto in the Neoclassical style. On both sides of the altar there are two paintings attributed to Juan de Herrera.
Museo Histórico Municipal de San Fernando
This museum allows you to discover the town’s history from its origins up to the present day.
Real Instituto y Observatorio de la Armada
It is one of the most important scientific centers in the world. It’s where the official time of Spain is established and it is the first geomagnetic observatory in Spain and it also has a seismograph station.
Iglesia Mayor de San Pedro y San Pablo
Temple in Neoclassical style and built in the late 18th century. It is home to San José, patron saint of the city and here took place the oath which was made by the members of the general and extraordinary courts on September 24, 1810.
Conjunto arqueológico “Hornos Púnicos de Torrealta”
In this archaeological site is where the remains of two major pottery workshops associated with the city of Gadir are displayed: the pottery from the late-Punic era of Torre Alta and the Phoenician furnaces from Sector III of Camposoto.
Panteón de Marinos Ilustres
It is a Neoclassical building from the 18th century in which it has several mausoleums of the most illustrious sailors.
Museo Naval de San Fernando
In this museum you can find naval issues related to the maritime area in which it is located.
Real Teatro de las Cortes
It is one of the most important historical buildings in San Fernando. It was opened in the early 19th century; here the first sessions of the general and extraordinary courts that led to the first Spanish Constitution were held.
It is in the Neoclassical style and is considered the largest in Andalusia. Built in the 18th century, standing out are the façade and the Elizabethan-style marble lobby.
Here on September the 24th of 1810 members of the first general and extraordinary courts met and elaborated the first Spanish Constitution.